Before you buy online
You can take some simple steps to protect yourself online: research websites before you buy, make sure the payment method is secure, and watch out for scams.
Some other things you can do:
- Avoid impulse shopping, especially with daily-deal sites.
- Read online feedback — but remember this feedback may not be genuine.
- Shop around — compare prices and conditions.
- Work out the total cost including any delivery charge, administrative fee, tax, duty or foreign exchange rate.
- Use a credit card if possible — it’s more secure and if there’s problem, you might be able to ask for a chargeback to reverse the payment.
- Be wary of offers that appear too good to be true.
- Check the Customs website for prohibited imports — there are some things you can’t import from overseas.
- Monitor children’s access — some businesses market directly to children.
- Avoid pyramid schemes, which are illegal — watch out for things like chain letters, ‘get-rich-quick’ schemes and home-based employment opportunities.
- Keep a record of all your purchases and keep all your receipts.
All rights reserved. For more information you can visit www.consumerrights.ae.